[RE-wrenches] battery venting; Corrosion

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Jan 6 15:54:09 PST 2012

Correction: I meant to say .05*C20 for AGM equalization current.

Larry

On Jan 6, 2012, at 4:48 PM, Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems wrote:

Hello William,

My understanding is once the SO4 is fully absorbed, excess H and O are produced and could be vented if the pressure rises above 5psi. So, when saturation is complete, voltage should be reduced and no gassing would take place. For this reason, I always recommend using charge current as the method to transition to float with VRLA batteries. Of course, proper voltage and temperature compensation are vital.

I am not surprised that MK would say this. Their battery is manufactured by Deka. We just stopped selling ALL Deka AGM batteries because we are experiencing many failures after about 1-3 years of use. In almost all cases, the tops of the battery show evidence moisture because of excessive venting. The cases are also sucked in as a vacuum is created from the loss of electrolyte. My charging systems are all programmed to the letter of Deka's charge specifications. They will not warranty any.

We have been equalizing AGM batteries for many years. When done properly, .05C of constant current with unregulated voltage, adjusted for temperature and time limited, the results are good in most cases.