[RE-wrenches] battery venting

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Jan 4 08:17:45 PST 2012

Hi Jay,

I have. 4 golf cart batteries were installed in a non vented compartment of an RV...with other electronics like inverter, relays, solenoids, etc. I was about 500 feet away and heard an expolsion. When I arrived at the RV, the bay door was mostly blown off the hinges. Needless to say the inside was a mess.

Attached is a NIGHTMARE example photo. The compartment has covers to completely seal it with no venting. How many dangerous problems do you see? The proud owner had no concern when I told him about the dangerous situation he had created.

We work on hundreds of RV's and I have seen many dangerous installations. Don't follow too closely...that could be a bomb rolling down the highway.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems