[RE-wrenches] Commercial design predicament

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Sat Dec 15 08:02:33 PST 2012

Daryl,
I don't think there's a practical way to make this work either. If you were
adding a 500kW load to that site, the utility would gladly bring out a
three-phase transmission line with an appropriate transformer.
Unfortunately, for a solar farm, the utility probably wouldn't be willing
to do that for free and would require three-phase service-- even though
it's technically possible with a big batch of 10kW 1P inverters.
Unfortunately, running the line that mile out to you could be a few hundred
thousand dollars. It's worth checking with the utility, but I'd guess you'd
have to pay for the extra mile of 3P distribution line.

Dave