[RE-wrenches] Roof flashings on L-feet in high snow load conditions

Troy Harvey taharvey at heliocentric.org
Wed Nov 14 15:31:19 PST 2012

William,

By gravity flashing i mean one of a bunch of newer systems that provide a metal flashing overtop of the foot. The idea is to have it work like a shingle, where gravity is on your side, not just sealants.

But here in lies the debate for me. A gravity is a nice backup, cause water always goes downhill, right? Well not always, in ice dams, water often goes uphill. There is a real question as to whether a modern sealant system is better or worse than a flashing. I'd like to see data.

thanks,

Troy Harvey
Principal Engineer
Heliocentric