[RE-wrenches] Roof flashings on L-feet in high snow load conditions

Benn At DayStarSolar benn at daystarsolar.ca
Tue Nov 13 19:08:30 PST 2012

Troy,
 Maybe adding additional support to the trusses would allow you to spread out the Lfeet a bit more?  ...but then there is still that added cost!?!

QuickmountPV for one, makes a pretty solid case that any roof penetration needs to be flashed if the waterproof integrity of a roof is to be maintained. Especially when the roof is under warranty.
Yeah the added cost can be tough to get used to, but it is the cost of doing it right.(my perception)  I was always 100% confidant that none of my Lfeet-straight-to-shingle penetrations would ever leak but when the flashed mounts came along it didn't take long to accept them as a better method.

Regarding working with the shingles... Do you use a good flat roofing bar to separate the shingles?  That is a must!  Sometimes you have to be patient and dont rush it, just break the seal a bit at a time or they will crack/tear for sure. Also the working temperature is key. Shingles have a recommended working temp and above/below that temp greatly increases the chance of damage.
If the temp is to cold and the shingles are brittle then a heat gun may help soften them and loosen the adhesive. Not to much, not to little

William,
Yeah the term 'gravity flashing' is new to me too.

While adding Lfeet for support without lagging them into the roof seems like a reasonable solution to supporting longer rail spans, are you not concerned that the Lfoot may wear thru the shingle after years of shifting around with wind lift and snow load?
Maybe I'm thinking to cautiously? Do you put anything btwn the Lfoot and the shingle?
benn
Sent from a 'smart' phone, with touch screen keys. Please excuse shortcuts and typos.