[RE-wrenches] Still walking it back

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Nov 2 09:35:47 PDT 2012

Dan is correct if the discussion is about the open circuit test of a charged battery: resistance is lower than when discharged.

However, the resistance I was describing to Mick was the effect of a battery under charge. The "resistance" to current flow increases because the electrochemical process slows down as active material is converted back to it's original state. I believe this is what Dan meant by "equilibrium", PbSO4 is converted to PbO2, Pb and H2SO4 increasing specific gravity, reducing current flow.

A common question I am asked is "why can't I force my charger (PV solar or otherwise) to put out full power?" The reason is the battery simply can't absorb any more current as described above.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems