[RE-wrenches] 120% rule applying to conductors

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Sep 28 07:02:27 PDT 2012

Mr. Brooks had an email on this topic on 5/8, 12:58pm ET. NEC officially
says that the conductor needs to be upsized but the 2014 will fix it
because that is dumb. I've copied some of Bill's email below.

**
The key distinction was used in my proposal to the 2014 NEC that removed
the statement “and conductor” in 705.12(D) since conductors are treated
very differently in the NEC. We in 690 are the ones that got this messed
up. The issue with conductors are taps. With two sources feeding a tap,
the sum of the feeder breakers would have to be taken into account in
sizing the tap. This does NOT mean that the tap is a full size
conductor. The tap rule determines the size and the new proposal simply
requires you to use both the feeder breaker and the PV breaker in sizing
the tap. This assumes that both breakers are feeding the tap in the
event of fault on the tap and that there would be no problem clearing
that fault. If fault current was used as an argument for oversizing (it
is wrong), it only has relevance in the tap scenario. A fault in a
feeder with no taps does not allow the sum of the currents to flow
anywhere but where the fault is—the rest of the conductor is undamaged
in a fault.

Sizing a conductor for the sum of two breakers on opposite ends of a
feeder seems to be what the code says, but it is totally ABSURD from a
technical point of view. John’s articles were merely pointing out that
the code language seems to be telling us to do this, regardless of
whether it makes technical sense. The 2014 NEC will do away with this
craziness.
**