[RE-wrenches] Ni-Fe batteries

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Sep 26 04:58:26 PDT 2012

Forever? Well, at least Edison thought they should last 100 years. As mentioned by others, inefficiency is an impairing factor in an RE system. However, due to the all time low cost for PV solar modules, these batteries can actually be a viable option. If you have the space for 40% more PV power and you have a customer willing to keep the batteries filled, the Ni-Fe battery could be the last battery they will ever buy. Imagine the grand-kids inheriting the battery bank.

Of course, there are many other details for you to study and understand before diving in; don't compare these to lead acid. I have about 25 that of these that are many years old that I bought for experimenting. I have also read about an 85 year old bank that was made useable again by Peter DeMar.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems