[RE-wrenches] s-5! install

jay peltz jay at asis.com
Fri Sep 21 17:47:11 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I wanted to thank all who gave me help and give a few other comments on the
install I just completed.

One weird thing was that there were 2 different top clamp nuts, both metric thread but one was 1/2" the other 13mm.  Everything worked ok but there is just no wiggle room. At the bottom plate there is a bit of raised dome on it and limited top grip making it really crucial to get it right, but I wish the mod frames were so accurate.

I think it was cheaper in parts, but not in time.  And while this was a newish roof it was really flat so it worked well.  If it was an wavy roof would be really tough.

Its also so low to the roof that it makes it really hard to keep the wires off the roof, even with clips, wire ties etc

Sure looks good, but it'll be hot under there for sure.

In the end, would I do another, yes given the right conditions, but would prefer to use rails.

One question that this really brought up was why don't the rack folks make a larger top grip so we have more wiggle room for mounting?

thanks,

jay

peltz power