[RE-wrenches] Disconnect BOTH positive and negative conductors from array?!?

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Fri Sep 14 20:19:17 PDT 2012

Most often it is the negative wire that is grounded, but not all of the
time. Whichever is grounded should have white or light gray insulation
and it should have a mechanical connector or bus bar connection in the
disconnect switch so that the grounded conductor can be opened for
maintenance. While that is what the code says, I don't feel a small
array is any more dangerous if both conductors are switched. Quite the
opposite: the array is "probably" safer if both conductors are open.

For an ungrounded array, which will probably become more common as
equipment is designed to operate that way, both conductors are supposed
to be switched in the disconnect. In that case there shouldn't be any
white wire going to the PV array.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com