[RE-wrenches] PV Production Meter on a XW System

Gary Willett gary at icarussolarservices.com
Fri Aug 24 10:05:05 PDT 2012

Aaron:

Manually-read legacy utility meters, in many cases, are set up to
accumulate current flow in either direction as kWh consumed. This was
done because dishonest people would turn the meter upside down for part
of the month, and then put it back normal before the meter-reader showed up.

My electric service has a bi-directional "smart" utility meter that
presents a cyclic display of kWh delivered (code 20) and received (code 57).

For my GTBB system, I use a GE KV2c bi-directional meter between the XW
AC1 conductors and the grid interactive back-fed PV breaker. This
provides a separate register for the kWh "bought" and the kWh "sold"
from the XW's perspective.

The XW inverter AC output feeds a protected loads panel, which in my
case contains everything except the electric oven and the electric
dryer. My 3-ton AC unit runs off the XW inverter under grid-up, but is
switched off via a contactor when in grid-down. I have an autostart 6kW
Generac EcoGen connected to the XW AC2 for back-up in event of an
extended grid outage.

The KV2c "bought" register accumulates the kWh consumed when the XW is
in AC Pass-Thru mode or grid supplement mode (PV kW not adequate to
deliver load demand). The KV2c "sold" register accumulates the kWh
delivered by the XW to the main service panel. Some of these kWs power
my 240V loads if they are active.

Regards, Gary Willett, PE