[RE-wrenches] Low power production at a winery: DC voltage drop upon SB6000 start-up

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 09:56:35 PDT 2012

Eric,

I checked my magic spreadsheet for the BP SX170.

Using 800W/m^2 irradiance, and a presumed ambient of 37C (98F),
everything appears to be working within specified tolerances.  The
presumed conditions create exactly your measured Voc, which is
why I used them.  Other temperature and irradiance combinations
will also work...

The voltage delta you measured between Voc and Vmpp is within
BP's specifications.  No PV has a perfect "fill factor".  Fill factor is the
aspect that determines the shape of the V/I curve established when
Voc and Vmpp are plotted.  The BP you mentioned have a fill factor of
0.769, which is very typical of polycrystalline PV.  A perfect fill factor
would be 1.0 (Vmpp equal to Voc), which obviously doesn't happen.
Thus, all PV have an operating voltage at maximum power that's below
the open circuit voltage -- some more than others.

Measured:
375Voc
280V at inverter at mpp
14-15A (fluctuating) at mpp

Calculated:
375Voc
301V mpp
14.96A mpp

Assumed:
800 w/m^2
37C (98F) amb

4,503W array power under above conditions

280V measured at the inverter
14.5A

Presuming 301V is correct Vmpp, this equates to:

1.38 ohms total system R, and 290W loss

290W/4503W = 6.44%

6.44% total loss --higher than a 2.5-3% best-practices target, and likely
due to slightly oxidized and/or loose connections in the DC-side of the
system.  Could also be due to long conductor runs, slightly undersized
conductors for the amperage and length, or both.

As Jeff Quackenbush mentioned, Vmpp is slighly lower than one might
expect, but doesn't appear to rise to the level of something that would
yet be indicative of something wrong.

Dan