[RE-wrenches] DC GEC Sizing Issue - Water Main GE

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Jul 20 13:23:14 PDT 2012

Garrison,

If you're doing a small commercial grid-tie system, your inverter GEC
requirements are determined not by the service size but by your
inverter. To illustrate, if you were installing a single Enphase,
running an unspliced #3/0 copper wire from your pipe up to your inverter
would be overkill, right? 690.47(B) is for systems with DC requirements
only (e.g. small inverter-free stand-alone systems).

If you're on the 2011 NEC, the simplest way to do this is to run a
combination EGC/GEC from the inverter GEC terminal *unspliced* through
your AC conduit to the ground bus of your interconnection panelboard,
sizing it to meet DC GEC and AC EGC requirements. If you're on the 2008
and your inspector won't allow you to use the 2011 method, you'd run and
size your AC EGC as you normally would. For your GEC you would size that
based off the larger of 250.66 or 250.166, and note that 250.166(B)
doesn't apply since you have a pipe electrode (250.166(C) overrides
166(B)). So you can get away with a #6 copper GEC unspliced from your
inverter to your pipe. Run that GEC in PVC conduit if you can, but if
the site requires you to use metal, you'll need to bond both ends.

To answer your questions:
1. Per 2008, you'll size the GEC per 250.66 and 250.166, and the .166
requirement will likely win out. Per 2011, you'll size your combined
EGC/GEC as no smaller than 250.122 or 250.166.

2 & 3. "Largest conductor" applies to the largest conductor in the PV
system (likely your homerun DC).

Dave