[RE-wrenches] Battery Experience

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Jul 14 10:33:42 PDT 2012

The batteries in your scenario are actually being cycled daily probably somewhere in the 2 to 5% range.  Looking at a chart for # of cycles vs. DOD, you see the most efficient use of the battery is usually from 20% to 80% DOD,  an FLA battery in perpetual float just doesn't last as long you might think. Depending on the brand of golf car battery, I would give this system a maximum life span of 10 years.
Maintenance will eventually be the issue; sometime in the battery's life, it will be over charged, left for weeks under charged, or let the water go dry.
A typical scenario I've seen many times: charge controller fails because of lightning, small load is left on, and the battery gets fully discharged.  Since no one is there, it sits for weeks and becomes permanently damaged.  Scenario 2 is similar:  a load is left on (light in a closet) fridge or pump stays on and malfunctions,  and the system crashes.
Scenario 3 no temp compensation, battery gets over charged in the heat, boils its H20 off a couple of cells, the dead cells pull the rest of the bank down in spiraling failure that can actually do damage to the house: acid spills, corrosion, and exploding cells.
I find my off grid systems that fare the best are well designed full time use with one or two people who are very consistent in their use, and maintenance.
I've replaced batteries every couple of years on some part time systems, because simple problems are not caught for weeks or months.  I have a couple of higher end part time systems that the owner can monitor and contact us, if for instance the power goes out.  This keeps it from leading to permanent damage.

Ray Walters