[RE-wrenches] Battery Experience

John DeBoever jdeboever at trojanbattery.com
Fri Jul 13 19:02:01 PDT 2012

Howie,

I would assume that the batteries at your home are actually getting full attention to reach full charge most of the time and getting equalization every 30 cycles, whereas the ones supposedly in “floating mode during 350 days a year” actually are not getting full attention and most are challenged in corrosion, stratification, possibly sulfatation, if not watering issues...

Few recommendations:

o   Watering, watering, watering: follow battery OEM recommendations.

o   Voltage settings: follow battery OEM recommendations.

o   Never assume that the battery was in floating mode all the time because nobody was at home, with all the probable phantom loads, cable losses and power conditioning losses.

o   It might also have left and stayed at PSOC for a long time, thus engaged a sulfation process. When sulfated, PSOC can happens as the solar charger might “perceive” a floating charge condition since the battery voltage is raising up quickly, due to increased resistance to charging. Thus the controls switches to floating mode thinking the battery reached 95% SOC…

Note: Lead sulfate crystals form as a natural part of the discharge process on the surface of the plate pores of the active material. Sulfation ≡ Large lead sulfate crystals. Sulfation becomes a problem when large crystals form and become difficult to decompose by charging. Hard sulfation is caused by:

§  Not charging the battery up to 100% SOC at each discharge – charge cycle

§  Allowing the battery to stay in a discharged condition (PSOC) for too long, too often

§  High stratification of sulfuric acid (S.G low at the top of the jar, while high at the bottom of the jar)

§  Uneven S.G. between cells ( some will sulfate faster, some will “boils”, thus loosing water)

§  Operating battery in excessive temperatures (ageing the battery faster)

o   Deep-cycles flooded lead acid batteries require to be fully charged after each discharge to stay in good health.  PSOC is acceptable in a very limited duration.

o   The flooded lead acid batteries also require regular equalization charge to fight against stratification and to “equalize” uneven battery cells, which happens over time. Floating charge typically fight against self-discharge of the battery and it is not enough to “stir” the electrolyte to fight against the stratification (S.G. low at the top of the jar and high at the bottom of the jar).  Same for bringing the cells S.G. even: the floating charge voltage setting is not enough to fight against non-uniform specific gravities between the different cells of the battery bank.

Hope this helps.

John

John F. DeBoever
Global Technical & Projects Director – Renewable Energy
Trojan Battery Company

12380 Clark Street
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Tel: +1-562-236-3000 Ext. 3139
Cell: +1-845-514-7600 – NY office time zone: USA EST (GMT-5)
Skype: john.f.deboever
Fax: +1-562-236-3239
jdeboever at trojanbattery.com<mailto:jdeboever at trojanbattery.com>
www.trojanbattery.com<http://www.trojanbattery.com/>