[RE-wrenches] 120% Rule - applying to multiple load centers etc

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue May 8 17:26:13 PDT 2012

Hi Andrew and Bill,

Thanks for the responses - very interesting indeed. I think Andrew and I
basically came to the same conclusion about what the code says and I agreed
with his points. 705.12(D) seems to makes logical sense when applying it to
any given electrical panel/load center. It is great to hear Bills thoughts
because I was wondering how the rule, worded as it is in the 2008/2011 NEC,
applied in particular to two breakers on opposite ends of a feeder.

This issue particularly comes up, as Andrew pointed out, when we're trying
to tie PV into an existing subpanel somewhere remote from the main service.
Feeder wiring for these existing subpanels is seldom oversized and if we
followed the wording in the code it would leave that as a non-option. I
wonder how other code savvy installers are dealing with this; or maybe they
aren't.

Best, August