[RE-wrenches] GFP and multiple charge controllers

Philip solarphil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:28:26 PDT 2012

Hi Kent,

I wanted to add a little more re positive grounding. OutBack's communication structure, like many other manufacturers, is referenced to Negative. If you install multiple devices in a positive ground system and connect them together via a Hub and add disconnects/overcurrent protection like normal in the ungrounded (this time negative) conductor, any time the breaker opens current will try to return to the battery by any means possible, and that means through the comm cables. That pretty much takes out all the connected devices, it aint pretty.  Therefore, OutBack recommends using double pole breakers, in both positive and negative conductors, when using multiple connected current-generation devices in positive grounded systems.  Not a perfect solution, but it is what it is.

To answer your question about upgrading older systems, if I were working on my mother's house and I had the option, I would not install any of the current generation GFDI devices. That might be heresy and not technically Code compliant, but on a battery based system I believe it to be the safer option.  If I had to install one, it could go on either the battery or the array side of the controller.  Once there is a better solution I would go back and retrofit Mom's system, because it's worth it.

BTW, OutBack's double and quad GFDI can be used to simultaneously disconnect both positive and negative, per your desire. That's another advantage of a multi-pole device.

Phil