[RE-wrenches] GFP and multiple charge controllers

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Tue Apr 17 17:54:19 PDT 2012

Nathan,

I don't think anyone makes a 100-amp PV GFP. The panel mount breaker
model that's being used for the PV GFP doesn't include a 100-amp breaker.

The Classic has a built-in GFP so you shouldn't need an external GFP for
it. You will need to add a GFP for the FM60 - a single 80-amp GFP would
work.

You can use the dual 80-amp GFP and shut down both PV arrays at the same
time if the GFP is wired to disconnect the PV array from the charge
controller input. That's where Outback's instructions used to show the
GFP, and it is a better place for it than on the charge controller
output anyway. Midnite's instructions show the GFP on the charge
controller input, but their 80-amp GFP is a single.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com