[RE-wrenches] Unusual Module

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 11:22:24 PDT 2012

Kent,

I had modules like those back in the early 1990s, when I first went off
grid. They are designed to be wired in sets of three for 12V nominal,
18Voc. If the EVA encapsulant is a bit browned it is probably leftover
from the Carrizo project, the largest of its time. The Carrizo project
had reflectors to increase output but they cooked the adhesive. The
owners eventually lost their beneficial rate and realized they would
make more money selling off the modules than selling the electricity.
Many homesteaders benefited.

Hilton

The label looks like a shiny piece of foil, but with light angled on it
just right way the name Solarex is visible as are many words on the
label template. None of the values are legible. It is a little smaller
than a MSX-60. It has 40 cells that are wired in four parallel strings
of ten. Open circuit voltage is about 6 volts. Shorted it put out 4 amps
in bright but very overcast conditions. I suspect that it would put out
8 to 10 amps at STC. There are two j-boxes, one on each end, with very
substantial terminals. It still operates, but obviously it isn't much
use for charging a battery, even a six volt one. Anyone familiar with a
low-voltage high-current Solarex module.

--
Hilton Dier III
Renewable Energy Design