[RE-wrenches] Starting fires for fun with string wiring

Jeff Yago jryago at dtisolar.com
Mon Mar 12 10:27:32 PDT 2012

Just a point of clarification since this can be a danger to installers.
Chris Mason correctly pointed out that "arc-flash" and "arc-fault" are
different and my post may not have made this clear.  However, he stated that
"arc-flash" requires at least 480 volts which I strongly disagree.   I had
an arc-flash inside a Kohler 240 VAC transfer switch happen when I started
to remove the cover and a small metal shaving fell down across the buss bars
inside.  The explosion bowed out the cover and the sound was like a shotgun.
I then went through some arc-flash training by the military before
inspecting several hundred electrical panels on a military base and was told
this can happen at much lower voltages than the generally accepted 480
volts.

To all, regardless of high voltage AC or DC, arc-faults and arc-flash are
still not generally understood by some electricians working on these higher
voltage systems and there are safety equipment made to protect hands and
faces which can receive some really bad burns.   Please review proper safety
procedures for working on this equipment.

Jeff yago