[RE-wrenches] Starting fires for fun with string wiring

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 09:09:28 PDT 2012

I've been wondering about this since I read over the 2011 code:

Are there any listed DC arc-flash products on the market yet, or scheduled to come to market within the next year?

Also: will arc-flash protection come in the form of breakers that need to be installed externally, or will it be something internal to the inverters or charge controllers to which source circuits are wired? Will they need to be installed on each string, or can they function on a combined circuit?

Do systems with DC optimizers or with micro-inverters have arc-fault protection at the module level?

Jeffrey Quackenbush
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Peripatetic Solar Technician