[RE-wrenches] MC4 Box connectors

Solarguy ntrei at 1scom.net
Mon Mar 5 07:16:08 PST 2012

William
The drill & tap process you described works great for a good watertight
attachment. But does Multi-Contact make the bulkhead style connectors with
any thread pitch beside M12x1.5 metric ? Not that a metric tap is a big
investment but the attaching using the threaded end with a nut is quicker
though not water tight without sealant. Threaded is also easier to remove
but the wall thickness ultimately will determine which method to use.
This goes the same for wire strain relief 'glands' that come with a
confusing choice of thread types- straight, tapered, metric, NPT, PG etc
and with or without nuts. Many high volume distributors will send a sample
part upon request allowing you to look and measure hole size, thread length
and whether the neoprene insert will actually close tight on the wire you
plan to put thru it.

Jim Duncan
North Texas renewable Energy
www.ntrei.com
NABCEP PV 031310-57
TECL-27398
ntrei at 1scom.net
817.917.0527

Let me know if you need anymore information or assistance.

William Miller
 Just yesterday, working with a machinist, we figured out a simple
 procedure for modifying a 1/2" threaded plug to accept the threaded
 stud on the back of these connectors.  Now we can thread these into
 1/2" hubs on bell boxes.  Very handy.

 We have only ordered them in quantities of 100.

 Good luck,

 William