[RE-wrenches] Quantity of L-16 in a string

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Thu Feb 16 08:29:55 PST 2012

Question to the battery wizzs' here and this may have some impact on the

I was told long ago by a Trojan battery rep. in 1990? that we should not
extend beyond [12]  L-16s in a bank due to too many connections and to many
cells to achieve a really go balance on the cell to cell charge.  I have
seen this to be a reality over the years though I have no concrete evidence
other than observation. The more L-16s in a bank the more imbalance  or
probability of imbalance due to the greater of cells and interconnects,
points of connection, number of strings.

At [12] L-16s I have seen the longest life at 8-9 years and any # of
batteries beyond it drops off to the 5-7 year range. This is all, off grid
observations as I have not seen any L-16 wet lead acid in grid tie
applications.

Manufacturers could you chime in and wrenches what is your experience?

Thanks

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

web - www.solarwork.com

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"