[RE-wrenches] Interstate L-16 vs Trojan L-16REB

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Feb 15 20:22:57 PST 2012

my inquiry is about the health of floating a lead antimony battery bank, in a grid-tie with battery back-up system, where the batteries float 99% of the time... considering (not specifically about any particular brand/manufacturer) i have also heard talk about the necessity to have to "work harden" a set of deep cycle batteries to get optimal use and capacity.

in a battery backup system, the batteries wear our from old age, rather than cycling lifespan. it is common for batteries in these systems to go years with no cycling. if cycling is healthy for a battery. i'd like to know that. i have heard people speculate on it before, but never got a definitive answer from a manufacturer. i respect jamie and his expertise, so that is why i'd like to hear what he has to say about these batteries theories floating out there in wrench land.

todd