[RE-wrenches] Grounding Separately Derived AC System

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 20:10:04 PST 2012

Separately-derived means that there is physical isolation between two circuits in the same electrical system – usually this involves two circuits connected by a transformer

The DC side is separately derived in a transformer-based PV inverter. Most grid-tie inverters have a DC main bonding jumper internally. Other inverters (esp. small stand-alone inverters) may not, and so a main bonding jumper will need to be installed.

Jeffrey Quackenbush
NABCEP-certified PV Installer