[RE-wrenches] Paralleling Multiple Inverter

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sun Jan 22 12:15:15 PST 2012

William,

I think we have it all out on the table. Below you cite 2008 690.64 (B) (2).
But the requirements of (B) (2) do not come into play if it is excluded by
the provisions of 690.64 (B). And as you already pointed out, this all
revolves around the interpretation of the Code vis-a-vis the word "capable".

What is the intent of the Code? What reflects reality? In reality, you
cannot find any point in the entire feeder circuit including the load center
itself where the response to a ground fault or short circuit failure would
not overwhelming be controlled by the feeder breaker. On one side of the
feeder breaker you have some inverters, whose ability to produce excess
fault current is limited short term discharge of it's capacitors. On the
other you have an almost unlimited source of excess current and uncontrolled
rise in the rate of energy flowing into a fault. I suggest that in this
case, it will always be the feeder breaker that will open in response to a
fault and to that extent it is perfectly reasonable to size the load center
and feeder to the feeder breaker sufficient to carry the maximum continous
ortput of the inverters.

So what was the intent of the Code makers? Why did they include the language
"capable of supplying multiple branch " if their intent was other than to
allow the use of dedicated load centers?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959