[RE-wrenches] battery venting

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jan 3 15:58:45 PST 2012

H2 is actually very difficult to contain, and can migrate through most
materials.
A super sealed, very small space, with a lot of charging source, its
possible to reach combustion, but IMHO, you'd have to really try to
create a system to do that.  I've had a cell burn off its H2 once, so
yes you can reach combustion levels inside the cell, but not in an
adequately sized and vented box.
As Jeff said earlier, venting is not so much about explosion, its that
Hydrogen Sulfide gas is poisonous.  While it might be very hard to
create an explosive build up, its much easier to create a deadly H2S
buildup.  (the code is definitely missing the point on that one)

Ray