[RE-wrenches] Transformer or not?

Hilton Dier hiltondier at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:03:36 PST 2012

Hello Wrenches,

I have a customer with questions. We had recommended a standard SMA 5kW inverter for an outdoor installation.

He is an engineer, so he was looking at the specs for the transformer-less version as well as the one with a transformer. He noted that the rated max efficiency of the non-transformer unit is 3% higher, 98.5%. He also asked about the cold weather -40C option. He lives in central Vermont, which does get below the regular -13C rating. (Although less often lately)

Any opinions on the relative durability or efficiency of the two versions? Any opinions from cold region installers about the merits of the -40C option?

Thanks,

Hilton Dier

Hilton Dier III
Renewable Energy Design