[RE-wrenches] Info On 2 V batteries Please

Parrish, Peter Peter.Parrish at canyons.edu
Tue Nov 27 13:31:09 PST 2012

We recently purchased a battery powered forklift, with 24 ea. 2V batteries. Approximate dimensions: W=5", L=6-3/16", H=~21" (hard to tell). Enersys is stamped on the top.

The battery supplier claims the batteries are "24-85-13" but this refers to a 24V battery as far as I can tell. He also claims that the batteries are rated at 510-550 A-hr. I am assuming that the lower number is for 6 hours discharge.

I would like to know more about the batteries. Also, how to discharge / charge them. Should they be run down to 20% SOC and then fully charged? What if we don't use the forklift for a week at a time?

Based on my experience of using AGM batteries, it would seem that the Bulk charging rate should be some percentage (e.g. 20%) of the 6-hour ampacity, then there is a constant voltage absorption charge (e.g. Vabs=2.385 V), and a switch to Float when the charging current drops to some low percentage (e.g. 0.5% of capacity), and the Float voltage being 2.125 V. Again everything at 25 deg C. It seems like the forklift guys like to refer everything to a 6 hour capacity, which may be related to the maximum typical daily usage.

What is the relationship between Voc and SOC after resting the battery for 6 hours at 25 deg C?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

- Peter Parrish

Alternative Energy Department
College of the Canyons