[RE-wrenches] EMT in attic - vs FMC vs armored cable

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:54:25 PST 2012

This subject interests me as I had been considering using waterproof
metallic armored cable. I can get pre-made cable with just about any
number of conductors of any size, sheathed in a flexible metallic layer
and then a UV resistant waterproof layer. The stuff is direct burial as
well. Buying 4 conductor and ground #8 would handle 95% of my
residential work. I could overkill with #6, or 6 conductor, and the
savings on all the screwing around with conduit would still make it
better. In bulk it's actually about the same price per foot as
individually purchased wire and conduit.

The thing I like about it is that it eliminates all the cutting,
measuring, bending, and pulling, or in the case of PVC, stocking of
fittings, measuring, cutting, gluing, and pulling. Just roll it off the
reel.

The question is, will the AHJ accept it for a >250VDC interior run?
Maybe with the right end fittings?

Hilton

--
Hilton Dier III