[RE-wrenches] Utility inverter rating

Erika Weliczko Erika at RepowerSolutions.com
Thu Oct 18 06:38:46 PDT 2012

Greetings all.

I recently received this back regarding an interconnection application
proposing a Sunny Island 6048 and a SB7000:

"we have to rate the system at the max output of the inverters, and since
that battery backup has an inverter that can export 11kW, (albeit for 3
seconds) I have to review the system for a total of 18kW."

This is a new one on me. I might argue that the SB7000 is upstream of the
SI6048 and really the SI6048 is the point of interconnection, so the SB7000
is irrelevant. And 3 seconds is not really continuous operation.

It seems that batteryless inverters show continuous output ratings, though I
know there are some that specify a larger than expected OCP for various
reasons, but that is not what the utility cares about.

Any insights here?

Thanks,

Erika

REpower SOLUTIONS