[RE-wrenches] Short Circuit Cell Damage

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Mon Sep 17 20:50:32 PDT 2012

Wrenches,

True or False: In a nominal sort of grid tied situation with string Voc
at about 300 VDC and Isc at about 6 or 7 amps......It is OK to install
modules on a roof in the sun and short the pos and neg together
indefinitely.

In other words modules can handle operating at Isc continuously without
damage. It is only if you get localized shading AND a failed bypass
diode that damaging hot spot heating can lead to failure?

I am reviewing an installation manual that recommends completing the
home run by connecting the pos and neg of the string with a single
jumper cable, folding the cable on itself in order to push it through to
a j-box and at some point later on, cutting the jumper in the j-box to
terminate the pos and negs to the home run.

I am concerned both about maintaining the string in a short circuit
condition and cutting the jumper while energized.

Any thoughts?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems