[RE-wrenches] corrosion on SHW storage tank fitting

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Wed Sep 5 09:21:34 PDT 2012

Hi SHW Wrenches,

We recently inspected a system that was installed by another installer a
couple of years ago. At the top of the Rheem Solaraide tank (standard glass
lined storage tank) they have a galvanized nipple going to a dielectric
union for the cold water inlet. The galvanized nipple is showing severe
signs or corrosion for only 2 years in service. Here's a link to the photo:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxRKBvO2EOGuY3A0WVZ0UnhZTUE

Anyone have an idea of what is going wrong here? I would have used a brass
nipple but I'm still wondering what is causing this galvanized nipple to
corrode so quickly. I wonder if there is a grounding issue with the tank or
maybe it's just the nature of galvanized fittings.

Best,

August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation