[RE-wrenches] Grounding - Exposed Metal Part

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Wed Jul 25 19:29:10 PDT 2012

A bare metal plate is connected to a conduit which serves as an
equipment ground. The plate is grounded and needs to be grounded because
it could become energized both by being contact with the conduit which
could become energized and also by coming into contact with the current
carrying conductors themselves.

A second bare metal plate touches the first plate but could not come
into contact with the current carrying conductors.

True or false, the second plate does not have to be grounded (bonded to
the first plate) because the first plate is already grounded and
therefore could not cause the second plate to become energized?

Any Code references to support your opinion?

P.S. I believe: "false", the second plate must be bonded to the first
plate because it may become energized by the first plate regardless of
whether or not the first plate is actually grounded, but I can't find
references in the Code to support this.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems