[RE-wrenches] Solar Hot Water - Anti-Scald Valve Failing Hot

matt at solar-energy-solutions.com matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Mon Jul 9 07:34:20 PDT 2012

Wrenches,

I am curious if any of you solar thermal installers have had an anti-scald
valve failure that left the end user with 100% untempered, hot water?  We
recently had a residential homeowner who purchased a Heliodyne system with
Watts valve five or six years ago see a tempering valve fail in this
manner.  After a multi-week heat wave he had 160F water available
throughout the home.  Obviously not ideal.

I have always been under the impression anti-scalds would only fail 100%
cold.  Maybe this was a mixing valve sold as an anti-scald but it looks
just like the Honeywell anti-scalds we install every day.  I can't say I
have had a ton of anti-scald failures but, of the handful we have had, I
think all failed cold.  Any thoughts are welcome.

Regards,

Matt

Matthew Partymiller
Solar Energy Solutions LLC