[RE-wrenches] FW: Wind Turbines killing birds and bats

Chris Daum chris at OasisMontana.com
Fri Jun 22 08:16:06 PDT 2012

Hi folks:  I don't mean to be the devil's advocate here, but my birder
friend would like me to share the following info (from Chris at Oasis
Montana)

  _____

 Yes, Bob is correct in that turbines are safer for birds now than they were
30 years ago, however, his cavalier attitude toward his cats and windows
killing them (when he could be doing something about that -- just google
preventing bird window strikes and making a predator safer yard -- disturbs
me, and causes me to think that he is being arrogant in his wind
turbine/bird strike data).

Audubon is very aware of cats and windows killing birds and they are working
on those problems, as they are working on safer wind farms. Modern turbines
may be safer for birds, but they are not safe if placed in the wrong place.
While Audubon does support wind turbines in general, they have a lot of
qualifications. In addition, the Kevin Rim wind farm in Montana has a lot of
bird and bat lovers concerned. The European company building that project
has made some changes in location designs, but not enough yet.

Audubon does not inequitably state that they support wind farms. Audubon
says in part that it is a lesser evil to have turbines as apposed to raising
global warming while using other energy sources:

Protecting Birds and Wildlife: While Audubon strongly supports wind power
and recognizes it will not be without some impact, production and
transmission facilities must be planned, sited and operated in concert with
other actions needed to minimize and mitigate their impacts on birds and
other wildlife populations. Several federal and state laws require this and
the long-term sustainability of the wind industry depends on it. Wind power
facilities impact birds from direct collisions with turbines and related
facilities, such as power lines. Wind power facilities can also degrade or
destroy habitat, cause disturbance and displacement, and disrupt important
ecological links. These impacts can be avoided or significantly reduced,
however, with proper siting, operation and mitigation.

Audubon supports the adoption of federal and state guidelines on the study,
siting, operation and mitigation of wind power. Guidelines should provide
developers, permitting agencies and conservation groups with the legal,
technical and practical steps needed to minimize impacts on birds and other
wildlife. Guidelines should provide the following essential elements:

*                                 Minimum pre-permitting study requirements
and guidance on study methods, frequency and acceptable data sources to
ensure that wind power is sited in appropriate locations

*                                 Clearly delineated siting criteria that
designate areas where wind power should not be allowed, such as Important
Bird Areas, major migratory corridors, wilderness areas, national parks,
wildlife refuges, and other sensitive habitat such as wetlands and riparian
corridors

*                                 Clearly defined monitoring and mitigation
requirements in permits, with periodic reviews and requirements for adaptive
management if impacts significantly exceed levels allowed by permit

*                                 Guidance on cumulative population impacts
assessment and mitigation.

Audubon also encourages wind developers and permitting agencies to consult
with wildlife experts, including Audubon staff and local chapters, to help
inform study and siting decisions.

And, concerns for the Kevin Rim project are not just about the large number
of nesting hawks, but new data on bat mortality is interesting and alarming:

http://mtaudubon.org/issues/energy/documents/Wind%20_10-08_JEllis.pdf

Most of what Bob says is true, but he needs to do some further research on
some of his statements.

Dorinda Troutman

Hamilton MT 59840

  _____