[RE-wrenches] XW firmware upgrades

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon May 21 12:36:27 PDT 2012

Friends:

I think I would rather have a root canal than upgrade firmware on an XW
series system.  Every time I attempt this it takes hours longer than it
should.  I don't know why, I am sure some of the blame is on my
inexperience.  I thought I would share some advice in case I can help
anyone.  Here goes:

1. Allocate more time than you ever think is necessary.

2. Do this only with good phone connection during Tech Support Service hours.

3. Provide an alternate source of AC -- the stupid dongle requires AC and
the inverter undergoing upgrade will shut down.

4. Don't try this with a Vista based computer.  They say the Vista drivers
work, but I have tried it and the connection is very unreliable.  XP is OK
but requires constant disconnecting, reconnecting and restarting the
XWconfig software.  They say Windows 7 works but I have not tried it.

5. Have all of the firmware and make careful note of the file names.  The
file naming protocol is poor and confusing.  Put all of the firmware in the
correct file path.

6. When changing the XW from 120/240 to 120 only, do not rely on the
firmware instructions in the manual Appendix, use the on-line instructions.

7. Whenever upgrading firmware, connect to one device at a time.  Use a
terminator.

8. Bring your lunch!

9. Bring your cell phone charger, your battery will run down.  Bring a
headset so your hands are free.  Bring a power strip to plug in all of the
stuff.

10.  Bring a long enough CAT5 jumper so you can work at your table.

11. Bring a table and shade if you must be outside.  You will need to read
your computer screen.  I discovered a new product, a film that when applied
to a laptop screen or tablet makes them much easier to see out
side:  DayVue by http://www.nushield.com/  It turned my glossy-screen
notebook into a usable computer.

and has generated many problems for me.  A partial list:  I have an XW
grid-tied system that sold very inefficiently for years and is only now
appearing to work as advertised.  The Power Distribution Cabinet and
supplied wiring will not support three inverters.  There is a problem with
XW inverters connecting to Kohler RES generators.  The firmware is a pain
to load.  The SCP  is too hard for the lay person to navigate (the Mate is
not much better), there is no Mobile model.

I will be trying an Outback Radius system in a week or two and I hope that
product fills the gap left by the SW inverter.  I will report.

Good luck!

William Miller

Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600