[RE-wrenches] XW ACQualfix firmware

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon May 21 12:12:25 PDT 2012

Friends:

I have several XW inverters connected to Kohler RES series inverters.  On
one only, I have had problems with the XW accepting AC from the
generator.  It will connect for less than a second and then disconnect,
wait several minutes and repeat.

I have spent considerable time on the phone with Xantrex tech support, time
not well spent.  At one point one of their Tech Support persons even
scolded me!  I was eventually told there was a known problem with the
waveform of the RES generators that caused this problem.

At first there was no solution but eventually I received a firmware tool,
"ACQualifix," that is supposed to fix the problem.  After some difficulty
firmware to load but it did not fix the problem.  It changed the problem
for a short where the XW would accept power form the Kohler for a few
minutes.  I was instructed to update firmware and reload ACQualifix but the
problem was never resolved and the inverter is back to not accepting power
at all.   We have adjusted many parameters, disconnected and reconnected
leads, all to no avail.

I was told that this was the first time this fix had failed.  I was
instructed to haul another 120/240 generator to the site to test.  I argued
and prevailed and a new XW6048 is supposedly on the way.  I am supposed to
provide the alternative generator but this will not be an easy task
considering the remoteness of the location.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any resolutions achieved?  Advice?

Thanks in advance!

William Miller

Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600