[RE-wrenches] Combining Solectria PVI 2500 with SB3000

Dave Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Thu Apr 19 09:29:55 PDT 2012

Wrenches,

We have an installation in place since 2008 working well with a Solectria
PVI 2500 feeding a supply side grid connection.

Homeowner wants us to double the system size now. I can buy a SB3000
inverter for $ 300 less than the Solectria PVI 2500 (with upcharge for 10 yr
warranty) and I'm inclined to go with the Sunny Boy.

We would add an Inverter 240Vac combiner load center before our 30A Fused
Disconnect. I would think that it would be OK to combine the 240vac outputs
of different inverter manufacturers and sell into the grid but never having
done this I wanted to run it by you folks. The SMA phone tech didn't seem to
be the most experienced person and after I spoke with him for a minute I had
him saying that it should work fine. But wanted to check with more
experienced people.

One wrinkle is that the Solectria does not use a Neutral, but the Sunny Boy
does. Again, I don't think that this will any problem.

David Palumbo

Independent Power LLC

462 Solar Way Drive

Hyde Park, VT 05655