[RE-wrenches] Grid tied PV to subpanel on detached garage?

Aladdin Solar cpickard at aladdinsolar.com
Wed Apr 11 07:09:04 PDT 2012

Wrenches:

There's probably an obvious answer but please help me think this through. Here's the situation--comes up all the time: The PV array and grid-tied inverter will be located on a detached building (garage or pole barn, etc.). The existing power to the building is a 240V 60A subpanel connected to the main panelboard at the house or main building via buried cable. If we obey buss bar loading and wire sizing, etc, is there any reason why we can't or shouldn't install the small grid tied PV system and tie it into the garage subpanel instead of trenching new lines back to the house and hit the main panel there? One hitch I see is that if we want a PV system AC disconnect near the main meter, the whole garage would end up on that. Have I overlooked an NEC or inverter requirement?

Thanks for your comments.

Charlie Pickard
Aladdin Solar

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7045 (20120411) __________