[RE-wrenches] No underside access metal biulding attachment

lars Ortegren lars at cal-solar.com
Thu Mar 15 09:26:09 PDT 2012

Wrenches,

We have a project coming up where we are installing a large array on a low
slope metal building with metal purlins. Typically we would through bolt our
attachment to the purlins, but in this case the building is a self-storage,
and access is not an option. Does anyone out there have experience with any
top side only metal-metal attachments? I've thought about using some larger
sized stainless self-tapping screws, but I worry about the pull out strength
(as the roof combined with the c-channel purlins are only about 1/8") and
the effects of heat and cooling of the roof backing the screws out over
time. Any thoughts ?

Lars Ortegren

Director of Operations

California Solar Electric Company

10141 Evening Star Drive, Suite 6

Grass Valley, CA 95945

http://www.californiasolarco.com/

Phone : (530)274-3671

Fax: (530)274-7518

California C-10 Electical Contractor #779624

NABCEP Certified PV Installer # 091110-89

Certified NABCEP Continuing Education Provider

More about NABCEP:

http://www.nabcep.org/