[RE-wrenches] Trace Power Module Upgrade?

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Jan 22 12:41:52 PST 2012

HI All;

Does anyone have any experience with upgrades on a Trace Power Module?
It basically was a single box with an SW5548 inverter and a C40 inside
with disconnects, some inside and some outside.  It doesn't seem to be
code compliant in my book, because several of the disconnects are
accessible only by removing the cover ,and exposing the user to live
parts.  Space is also a serious issue, and I was planning on adding a
new MPPT controller.  The owner wants to relocate all the equipment, so
it seems a good time to reevaluate the whole system.  I'm tending
towards scrapping the power module, and reusing the SW inverter with a
different DC load center.  Option 2: I might use the power module, but
pull out all the PV wiring and controller to a separate location next to
it.  3rd option is to start over with a whole new setup: new inverter,
etc. but that's probably not in the budget.
I'm just looking for others experience and ideas.
Thanks in advance as always,

Ray Walters