[RE-wrenches] best way to connect 12v fans directly to panels with a higher voltage?

James Rudolph jamesrudolph99 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:02:59 PST 2012

Dearest Wrenchies,

So here is the situation,  we have a customer with a passively heated kiln
for drying lumber. Basically it is a greenhouse. There is no supplemental
heat, or power at the site where it is. When it begins to be heated
moisture will be driven from the lumber, which needs to be exhausted by
fans. We need PV because there is no power there, and because we want to be
completely solar. Rather than set up a charger controller and batteries,
along with humidity controls for the fans, I thought it would be simplest
to get some panels and wire them directly to the fans. That way, when the
sun is shining and the kiln is being heated, the fans will be on to exhaust
the moisture, and when the sun is not they are off. With that said the
customer has alredy bought the 4,12v/18a  fans from grainger and has some
ASW 240w 37V panels. I was wondering( since my work is always grid-tie
applications) what would be the best code compliant way to hook up all this
together.
Many thanks in advance for the help.

Sunny Regards,

*James B Rudolph