[RE-wrenches] battery venting

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Sat Dec 31 08:33:31 PST 2011

Jeffrey,

I'll second Jay's suggestion that sealed AGM batteries are the best
choice in this circumstance. Presumably this is a grid backup system so
the poor endurance of AGMs for cycling applications shouldn't be an
issue. If you use a Zephyr power vent horizontal runs shouldn't be
problem, but what happens when the power vent fails? It will fail. I've
seen the bearings wear out on one and another that failed when insects
got into the blades and gummed it up to the point that the motor stalled.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com
t: 541-568-4882