[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Re: Landing into a sub-panel without a main service panel, just a main switch

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 09:57:00 PST 2011

I'm not sure what "#6" refers. I didn't see any additional documentation from the original poster beyond the text of his query.

Running a house from a single 200 A main OCPD has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. On the contrary, my point is that if you have a conductor with OCPDs on either side and no load in the middle, electricity can flow in only one direction at one time. Under normal operation it can't be fed by two sources from different directions simultaneously, and therefore the current on that conductor will never exceed one or the other OCPD.

Now, it is true that a short is basically a load. However, my argument is that as a load, a short will only overload the conductor by the sum of the OCPDs under a very narrow range of resistances, which themselves are significantly higher than what should be expected from a short-circuit or a ground fault. So I'd say there is a burden of proof on empirical tests to determine how often those conditions would develop.

Where you have a main disconnect that feeds a load center that also has a main breaker (not an unheard of configuration), you get exactly this situation: a conductor with OCPDs on both sides, no load on the conductor and no parallel circuits. Neither the conductor nor the main disconnect will maintain a current in excess of the main OCPD size under normal operation.

I specifically said that this does not apply if there is any kind of a functional load on the conductor in an earlier email. Maybe I didn't spell this out explicitly enough, but if there are parallel circuits coming off this conductor, say, for instance, a tap, this also would not apply.

Jeffrey Quackenbush