[RE-wrenches] Landing into a sub-panel without a main service panel, just a main switch

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 19:05:18 PST 2011

The flow of electricity isn't two-way traffic along a conductor. If there are no loads on the conductor between the main system disconnect and the main breaker of a subpanel, in this scenario, there can only be up to 200 A coming from the utility OR up to 60 A coming from the solar system backfed through the subpanel. The intent of limiting the solar system size plus the utility source to 120%, or even 100%, of a bus or conductor rating is when that bus or conductor can potentially see current from both sources simultaneously, it could overheat if these sources exceed the bus or conductor rating. That's not physically possible unless there is a load in between both sources.

Going back to NEC 2008 690.64B2 (I don't have my 2011 codebook on hand), it states that this rule applies to "The sum of the ampere ratings of overcurrent devices in circuits supplying power to a busbar or conductor...". If you think of this in terms of time, the language is fuzzy, but I think an argument can be made in support of my point. In our scenario, the two sources of power cannot supply power simultaneously; because power is an instantaneous concept (the article doesn't say "supply energy"), logically it follows that the sum of the OCPDs supplying that conductor and the main disconnect is 200 A or 60 A, but not 260 A.

Furthermore, the alternate interpretation misunderstands the rule in this context.

Jeffrey Quackenbush