[RE-wrenches] DC power for LED lighting

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 11:39:39 PST 2011

I have not worked with seperate LEDs for several years, and I am working with an old brain, but it seems that a LED needs about 3.0 to 3.5 volts mimimum to turn on and somewhere about 4.5 volts or 5 volts to fail.  So if you do not have a voltage limiting system or a voltage regulator you must stay within the operating voltage.  If you for example have a 12 volt system, where the max voltage is 16 volts and the minimum is 10.5 volts you should provide about 4 volts to each LED you can onlyt put two in series and must have a voltage regulator.of 8 to 9 volts.

There are single chip voltage regulators, that can work from 25 to 12. volts and give regulated power output of 9 volts. It is simple for Hugh  and others that work with these chips to design and build a VR to work with these LEDs.   If the chip gives 9 volts, and you connect a string of two leds.  One trick is to add the leds in series to a voltage just below the low voltage point of the source.  for example if you have 4 volt leds and a twenty four volt system you would want to put 5 inseres and have the regulator or 20 volts.

Wattage of VR chip, many have wattages 0f 5 to 25 watts, and for a 12 volt system when at 16 volts with the two at 9 volts, the series regulator will be droping almost twice as much power as the LED, a one watt LED shoud be protected with a 2 watt series regulator.

This is straight forward stuff for electronic people, Perole like JJJarvis, who has built many many custome circuits for me or Brand electronics.  If you want several simple circuits, JJ will make a board and use the correct heat sink, for both the LEDs and the VR.  JJ also makes or at least sells a multivoltage LED fixture.        .

, .   three oltage,