[RE-wrenches] NEC 480 - battery enclosure question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Dec 14 08:52:03 PST 2011

110.11 Deteriorating Agents. Unless identified for use in
the operating environment,no conductors or equipment
shall be located in damp or wet locations; where exposed to
gases, fumes,vapors, liquids, or other agents that have a
deteriorating effect on the conductors or equipment; or
where exposed to excessive temperatures.
Informational Note No. 1: See 300.6 for protection against
corrosion.

110.18 Arcing Parts. Parts of electrical equipment that in
ordinary operation produce arcs, sparks, flames, or molten
metal shall be enclosed or separated and isolated from all
combustible material.

300.6 Has a lot of good info on corrosion that we in the solar biz
should be all over, as well.

So that's 3 pretty specific code references.

Ray Walters