[RE-wrenches] Enpase 210 and LA County

Mark Dickson Mark at OasisMontana.com
Fri Dec 2 10:16:52 PST 2011

Hello Folks,
I am in the process of designing an Enphase system for an electrician to
install on his own home's roof located in the city of LA.  Due to his small
and broken up roof layout, we found it most feasible to use Sanyo modules
with Enphase M210 inverters.  The new M215 is not approved for use with
Sanyos--only the 210s.
We have had the pleasure of helping him successfully jump through all the
bureaucratic hoops along the way.  He has gotten the blessing from the LA
FPB.  His next stop was the electrical permit desk.  After looking at his
design drawings, he was told that they do not approve of the use of the M210
inverters, only the M215s!
Why they heck is a local jurisdiction taking it upon themselves say what
equipment is safe or not?  How are they determining this? Why are they not
following along with everybody else and referring to the CEC list of
approved inverters?
I am hoping that by taking in the CEC list and perhaps talking with a
different permitting clerk, he will find that the first person was simply
uninformed.
Have any of you run up against this?  Was there a way around it?

Best regards,

Mark Dickson,
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer T
Oasis Montana Inc.