[RE-wrenches] Diversion load for AC coupled system

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Nov 30 08:36:22 PST 2011

Thanks Kent, Kirpal, Jay, Hugh, Et al,

At 3.8kW, each TS-60 will divert up to 34 amps @ 56 volts, well under 75%. I will have isolated loads for each controller. Kent, what am I overestimating?

One concern about two controllers is that if one has a lower turn on voltage than the other, the total load might be applied to it until voltage rise causes the second controller to to divert power. Without a way to limit controller current, I think this could be a problem. Over-current failure of one controller would cascade to the second then cause battery over-voltage until the Magnum shifted frequency to stop the grid inverter. Has anyone done diversion with two controllers?

Another thought I had is to use a single controller for relay control of a 120 or 240 volt load. I'm thinking this will be easier but I'd sure like some input if you have done this.

Thank you,

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems